“ Hello everyone! While accessing my virtual machine I got an error like this “An error occurred when attempting to retrieve the virtual hard disk”. This VHD file contains my important official data. I am in fear of data loss from virtual hard drive file. Can anyone tell how can I recover my crucial data from virtual hard drive file? Your help would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance”
If the above query seems to be familiar with you and you are facing the same issue then there is no need to panic. I will suggest read the entire article. This article describes if corruption occurs in the Virtual hard drive files. Then how the users can save the valuable data. Most probably the user has to face an error occurred when attempting to Retrieve the virtual hard disk data problem if virtual hard disk file got corrupted. We are going to discuss the various possible reasons for corruption of Virtual hard drive file. And also how to resolve this issue.
More About VHD File Format
VHD stands for Virtual hard disk file which represents virtual hard drive files. It is a type of file which has similar functionalities as a typical hard disk but it can be accessed, managed and installed on a virtual machine infrastructure. Virtual hard disk file contains same hard drive sector found on a physical hard drive such as disk partitions and file system. Like the physical hard drive files, the VHD files may also get prone to corruption. Let us discuss the various possible reasons for this error.
Reasons of An Error Occurred When Attempting to Retrieve the Virtual Hard Disk Data
- Virus and Malware attack- If the user’s system is infected with virus or malware where the virtual hard disk file actually stored then the user has to face permanent data loss situation because of the corruption occur in the virtual hard disk file.
- Hard drive Failure-If the user’s system hard drive corrupted due to the bad sector or manufacture fault then also VHD file can be corrupted.
- Infected External Device– If the users try to connect infected or corrupt external device then also corruption occurs in the virtual hard drive files. And the user has to face the problem.
- Because of installing Antivirus on the Virtual Machine-One of the reasons of corruption occurs in the virtual hard drive files is that installing an antivirus program on the virtual machine because it can interfere with the operations of the virtual machine. Hence it is advised to avoid installing antivirus program in the virtual environment.
Automated Solution to Recover Data If User Encountered An Error Occurred When Attempting To Retrieve The Virtual Hard Disk Data Problem
Note – If the user is unable to access the virtual hard drive file data then the user can prefer manual approach. But to resolve the corruption of VHD file with the help of manual method is quite a difficult task and it requires strong technical skills to perform the entire process. So the user can recover the data with the help of Automated solution Hyper – V File Recovery Software
Here are the salient features Hyper-V Recovery Software
- Recover permanently deleted, formatted VHD partition recovery.
- Recover important valuable data such as documents, photos, videos etc.
- Option Scan and Recover any size VHD file data.
- Recover data from Static and Dynamic virtual hard drive file of FAT and NTFS file system.
- User-friendly graphical user interface.
Steps to follow to perform recovery process from a Virtual hard disk file.
- Step 1: Download and install the Hyper-V recovery software.
- Step 2: Now click on Open.
- Step 3: Browse and Select the VHD ( virtual hard disk file) and click on Open.
- Step 4: Now choose the partition which the users want to recover.
- Step 5: Click on Scan button to scan the partition.
- Step 6: Select the recovery mode from the quick scan and advance scan.
- Step 7: Preview the VHD file data.
From the above write-up, we have explained the issue an error occurred when attempting to retrieve the virtual hard disk data problem. This error basically occurs because of the corruption occur in the virtual hard drive file. If the user is in fear of losing crucial data then the user can take the help of Automated solution to recover VHD data.